Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Who's in charge here?

I'm no psychologist. I'm no visionary. Nor am I an anthropologist. But my mind does wander, and, scary though that might be at times, it leads me occasionally to something worth sharing. This was one of those times...

During one of these mental roaming, I came up with my own theory regarding human behaviour. I based it on what I'd like to call the Four Command Centers of the Human Body. (Lame? Yeah, I know... it had a cooler name the first time I typed this)

Consider the following question if you will: If you had time to pull only one thing from a burning building, what would it be? Pick the first that comes to mind.

a. A backpack
b. A memento of a loved one (not necessarily departed)
c. An extinguisher
d. A pack of condoms/ birth control method (for ladies)

Got your answer? Read on ONLY if you do...

Right, let's see what my theory has to say about people who picked Option number one: the backpack. Now, I'm guessing you picked the backpack as it either contains or will contain all your essentials within. You let your head lead you and always pick the logical course of action, carefully weighing the pros against the cons before making a move.

On the plus side, you're more or less a high-intellect person who has all the answers and have a pretty high perfection streak. Unfortunately, you tend to overthink things and waste time pondering a choice/ list of choices instead of going ahead and doing it. Your perfect record's very important to you too, and tend to do all it takes and then some to keep it going. Failure to do so can upset you rather badly and lead to fits of depression.

Next we have Option Number Two, the memento. Now, if this was your first choice, you value your feelings, morality and the well-being and happiness of other above all. Your main command centre is your HEART, and it's quite a big one too.

Your strengths include being a nurturing and caring person, willing to sacrifice what you want for the people around you. Your moral compass always points true North and you always consider the people around you's well -being and value fairness and equality. On the flipside, people see you as a softy, a pushover and easy. And they're right. You're so busy looking out for others you neglect yourself and your interests.

Command Centre Three, option three: the extinguisher. I'd say you picked the extinguisher (if present) because you'd rather save the building than one single thing. You possess great courage and you know what must be done to save all that's important. Major Guts leads your actions and your credo is "No one gets left behind."

Perks of following your gut is that you're a natural leader and you have the initiative to get things done. You generally do the right thing although you tend to veer south of the moral equator. Regardless, you do everything boldly and lack fear of reproach. Bravery is admirable, but following your gut can lead to some rather short-sighted actions.

And finally, Door number four: the condoms- slash- birth control apparatus. You, my fine yeomen, are led by "Napoleon Bonaparte" or your 'Little General', for sake of censorship. You live in the here and now. Life's a party, and thinking about it is a waste of time. Napoleon takes point when something that requires a lot of balls comes up, and in most cases, you tend to do things because

a. It's fun
b. You want to
c. You can
d: All of the above

You know how to have fun and you let no one stand in the way of having it or doing what you please. You have the drive to get what you want and everybody knows it. You're also extremely self-confident and never let doubt cloud your decision-making. A little warning though: Following Napoleon too closely for too long results in you making a dick of yourself (or the female equivalent in the case of the ladies)

Try to strut for a moment please (Chest out, eyes staring the world in the face, leaning back in a bit of a swagger as you walk) and tell me: which part of your anatomy's in the lead? and who's bringing up the rear? I see you get my point... When you let Napolean lead your charge, and you hit the "Oh, sh*t" brick wall, you end up hurting where you simply should not.

Lastly, I'd like to say this theory is not perfect. Freud may use it for lavatory paper. Kubler-Ross may scoff. And so may you. But I think there's some merit to this hypothesis. And I also agree that I need something profitable to occupy my time.

I've said my piece. Time for you to say yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment